North Campus Food Joints
By Prakriti Bhat
Another phase of your life begins as you enter college. Getting into Delhi University is no piece of cake but you made it. Classes have started and you’re getting used to the DU culture. North Campus is the hub of University activities. Allow us to be your food guide through the food joints popular in and around North Campus.
- Chache Di Hatti– Want a taste of Dilli ke Chhole Bhature? Well, this is the place where you can get that desi feel of street food. You have to stand in a queue to place your order. The long queues here tell their own story. Meal for two- Rs.150
- Shawarma Wala– Located in the lane adjacent to Mc. Donald’s; this place has gained popularity in the last few years. Their shawarmas are a hit amongst the students. Try out their Chicken Shawarma, Paneer Shawarma, Garlic Chicken Kathi Roll and virgin mojito. Meal for two-Rs. 300.
- Shake Square– So you are exhausted after a series of lectures and need a quick break. Shake Square is your solace. With an array of shakes and desserts, this is bound to become your best friend. Their Oreo shake and Mocha shake are absolutely delicious. You won’t need to shell out more than 300 bucks for a quick meal of shakes and sandwiches or stuffed kulchas.
- Café Youngistan– Theme restaurants are always cool. And this one promises you a pocket friendly meal as well. With jungle themed interiors, this place has gradually become a campus favourite. It could be a fancy pick for birthday treats as well. Meal for two- Rs. 1000.
- Kori’s– This one is for those who like to experiment with their plate and palate. Kori’s serves Korean cuisine and is widely known amongst the student crowd. Feast on regional delicacies like Kimbab and their much loved burgers which are quite huge. All this comes in combo meals as well. Cost for two- Rs. 500.
- The Vintage Avenue– Go for a trip down the memory lane with this place. The interiors remind you of the simplicity of a bygone era. The food is absolutely delicious ranging from Italian to Indian cuisine. Their pizzas, pastas, Chicken Tikka and shakes are quite famous. Must try their Oreo shake and Kitkat shake. Meal for two-Rs. 750.
- QD’s– One of the most famous student food joints. It has branches near both the campuses of Delhi University. One just can’t ignore their huge Tandoori Momos with the delicious green chutney. They also have economical Chinese combos. Again a good place for birthday treats with its funky decor! Meal for two- Rs.600.
- Ricos– Walls covered with graffiti and one whole wall dedicated to a bookshelf. Interesting isn’t it? This café offers a wide variety of cuisines like American, Lebanese, Italian, Mexican and what not. Their pitchers, Chicken Stroganoff, pastas and desserts are a must try. Cost for two- Rs. 900.
- Wood Box Café– In the lane adjacent to Axis Bank you will find a cottage like café with rooftop seating as well. With colorful and offbeat interiors it gives a very cozy feeling. Their shakes are just awesome, served in neatly cut bottles of Heineken. Also try their Spaghetti Aglio Olio, Chicken Lasagna, Caesar Salad, and Mushroom Sandwiches. Munch away! Cost for two- Rs. 650.
- Big Yellow Door– With a cute little tedha medha yellow door as its entrance, this place sure grabs a lot of eyeballs. Warning: there is always a long waiting queue outside so try to book your table in advance. The interiors are quite good and the rates will bring a smile to your face. It’s a nice place for group hangouts. Try their Paninis, cheese bomb burger, cheesy nachos and beverages. Cost for two- Rs. 500
- Cent Percent Bakery– One of the most popular bakeries in the area, this place comes to your rescue for ordering birthday cakes. With a mélange of cakes, pastries and homemade chocolates, this bakery is quite a hit amongst the North Campus crowd. Cost for two- Rs. 250.
- For God’s Cake– The newest bakery in town, the place is doing quite well. It’s a bakery café so it serves food like pizzas, burgers, sandwiches and pastas, etc. Try their oval shaped pizzas, shakes, red velvet cake, cake jars and cupcakes. Also, it has charming interiors. Meal for two- Rs. 500.
- Moets– Located near the Civil Lines metro station this place serves some tasty Chinese food. Prices are a bit on the higher side but it makes for a nice option for occasional splurges. Go for their Manchurian, spring rolls and soups. Cost for two- Rs. 900.
- Momos stall outside metro station– The man selling momos has been around for a long time. Joking around with the customers he always has a smile on his face. A large hearted vendor is he who gives extra chutney without creating a fuss. He is one such man! Within 40- 50 bucks you can have a sumptuous plate of momos.
- Roll Club– Situated near the petrol pump, this place whips up some of the most appetizing rolls. Paneer roll, Chicken roll, Chicken egg roll, Double egg roll, Chicken keema roll are some of the best here. Meal for two- Rs. 250.
- Gulab Singh Tea Stall– This modest tea stall serves the simplest snacks in a humble and loving manner. There is just one long iron bench and table. Enjoy a quiet cup of tea with bun maska or bread. Cost for two- Rs. 50-60
D SCHOOL’S CANTEEN– Perhaps one of the most sought after canteens in North Campus, D School has a lot of options to calm your hungry tummy. Some of their best dishes include Plain Dosa, Mutton Dosa, Chowmein, etc. However, the main adda at D school is JP Tea Stall which is frequently thronged by students to relish Raju Bhaiya’s hot aloo patties, muffins and their famous masala coke.
MAJNU KA TILA
- Coffee House– One of the best and cheapest cafes you will come across. With doughnuts priced at Rs. 20, you are going to fall in love with their cakes, coffees and ambience. You just HAVE TO try their Mud Cake and Iced Mocha. Also check out their breakfast options. They have free wifi too! Meal for two- Rs. 150.
- Ama Café– With comfortable couches and Tibetian décor, it’s a peaceful refuge from grueling schedules. Regulars swear by their Tiramisu and Cappuccino. Check out the beautiful Latte art on their hot coffees. Cost for two- Rs. 450
- Tee Dee’s– If you want to try out authentic Tibetian cuisine, this is the place you should go to. It is quite pocket friendly and supposedly serves the best thukpa in Majnu Ka Tila. Other mouth watering dishes include chilly potatoes, chilly pork and Singapore noodles. Meal for two- Rs. 900
Have a flavorsome life at DU!